MisQue's Adventures

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

...a bref overview...

So... just a little/ a lottle about where I am...
I am currently in Tucson, AZ where I will be for a total of about 7 weeks taking classes and getting oriented with everything and getting prepared for our trip to the border, the last 2 weeks will be wrapping up the semester. We have 2 one week trips where we go and learn more about a different border town and just see more of what we are learning. The rest of the semester about 8 weeks, we will be in Nogalas, Sonora, Mexico; Where we will be living in homestays and continuing our classes in a less structural way. We are what they call an experiental program so it is more geared toward our experiences rather than lectures and the "conventional learning". So it shall be interesting to stay tuned.
My living quarters... First let me say that i can get used to 70 degree weather in "winter". The sun is always shining and if there is a cloud in the sky they consider that weather.
Okay, where I am living... It is a house about a mile away from the U of AZ and when we walked around it seems like a cool town. We have a kitchen, bathrooms, a classroom in the basement, and dorms with a living area. Our dorms consist of cubicals with beds, dressers and shelves for 2-3 people. There are 8 females on this trip and only one male. Coming from a women's college, I'm used to the women. The cubicals can't be larger than 6 feet wide by 10 feet long maybe. They are pritty small and my room has a bunk with a twin. Cozy quarters that's for sure. When I will go back to my what I thought was a tiny room I will be living in luxury. These cubicals have no "roof" or top on them so you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on... we do have screens that are arched over the top bunks so that no one can peer in over the top... why anyone would who knows but there are a lot of "delegations" that come through that are just for a week or more and they range in age from HS to College... so who knows...
Enough about that for now... there will be plenty more... I actually arrived to Tucson on Friday and stayed with my cousin Norita and her husband Bill for the weekend. They have an awesome house with lots of citrus trees.. there was a grapefruit tree, orange tree, lemon tree, a lemon orange tree and a couple more... it's pritty cool.. they have a side room that is a B&B too. In the 3 days that I was there, 2 different costomers where in and out of there and in between we painted and made it look different. That was fun. Also, while I would take some walks around the neighborhood with Tio Mike and Chica his dog, we heard some havalinas... which are wild pigs... i wanted to see one but not up close... I still have time to see some... AND I saw a cactus that was chomped at by a guela monster... SO COOL! I really want to see one of those! That's about all I did that weekend... it was nice to relax and get used to the time change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home